- Be a NMSU Undergraduate student- Sophomore, Junior or Senior
- Earned a grade of B or higher in course(s) to tutor.
- Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student at New Mexico State University, and maintain half time status (6 credit hours per semester)
- Must have completed at least two (2) semesters at New Mexico State University.
- Be committed to work at least one full Academic Calendar Year.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends (Sunday)
- Knowledge of subject matter
- Ability to effectively communicate subject matter
- Be friendly, patient and sensitive to each student’s learning needs and style
- Respect towards others (tutees, tutors, CTS staff, etc.)
- Respect for different learning styles including active learning and peer-to-peer techniques.
- Ability to tutor online via NMSU Zoom and utilize technology during tutoring sessions
- Interest in teaching and helping others learn in individual and groups settings of 3-4 students
- Ability to listen and answer questions during tutoring sessions
- Good time management skills
- Attend a New Tutor Orientation session prior to each semester
- Provide tutoring services both in-person and online via NMSU Zoom
- Work evening and weekends
- Trained to assist peer students in the understanding, organizing and learning process.
- Maintain professional contact with all tutees
- Modify and develop your tutoring skills to meet individual tutee needs and to adjust to the learning styles of your students
- Always be punctual
- Update your schedule and course information as needed
How to Apply:
- Please email a copy of your Resume and current NMSU Academic Transcript to Marci Salinas-Milam, Academic Success Center Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your email, please indicate 1) your NMSU Aggie ID # 2) if you are work-study eligible and 3) provide a copy of your current course schedule with proposed hours of availability to work.
- CTS makes tutor selections based on subject demand
Students may tutor anywhere from 5 – 20 hours a week. The number of hours you will receive is contingent upon your available hours, the courses you can tutor, and the number of students requesting a tutor for those courses.
- The tutor position may serve as a work-study job. Please let us know if you qualify for work-study through your financial aid package.